Tuesday, March 6, 2012

2,234 Kilometers Later .... Calgary to Vancouver and Back in a Week - Part 1

After a insanely stressful hitch at work, I decided to hit the road. Literally. I called my friend Carmen from Vancouver, who I hadn't seen in 15 years, to see what she was doing for that weekend. I loaded up my iPod, bought a couple Audio books (don't ask the young guy at Chapters where the 'Books on Tape' are - a blank stare ensues), stocked up on snacks, purchased Roadside Assistance and an Roadside Emergency Kit (67 peices to keep you safe!!) and off I went.
This was taken just outside Canmore - how lucky am I to live here and have this beauty at my fingertips.
 I also know I shouldn't have been taking photos while driving whilst 18 wheelers are hurtling towards me. I had noone to photojournal for me, hence the occasional steering wheel in the shot. I'd like to point out how narrow the roads are and you've nowhere to go but up. Up the snowbank.
 If I didn't take pictures, you'd miss this. The drive was so beautiful, it was distracting.
 Tunnels are frequent
 As is long stretches like this. I'd like to tell you where this is, but that would mean I knew. And I don't. I thiiiink its just before Revelstoke, BC.

REVELSTOKE!
 Oh Revelstoke. If you were a human, I'd want to marry you. I fell in love. Its like I stepped back in time both to the olden days AND the 80's. Boy, neon ski gear is really making a comeback, isn't it?
 I stepped out of my car where I parked without paying, because I didn't have to. Where I fit in with my camera around my neck, my wild hair back in a pony, with no makeup and my 'whatever way the wind blows' look. Where Stores are called Grizzly Book and Serendipity Shop, and notebooks are $20.00.
I wandered the streets taking in this unique little place (well, famous town), surprised by its employment center and outreach program! I guess little towns have their needy too.
Its a town of broken down Ford Taurus' and jacked up Ford F150's, bearded bicyclists, yoga studios and spas.
Its a town of talkative bookstore owners and laid back (read: stoned) early twenties making your latte.
Its a town where time has stilled and people are unhurried and kind
The mountains and majesty of this place blanket you in awe. It makes you aware of how small and insignificant you really are. Well, if you don't concentrate on THAT part of it, its a very peaceful place to be.
I was excited to keep going though and Kamloops, approximately 3 hours further was my rest stop for the night.
Oh Dear. Little did I know.

KAMLOOPS
So in keeping with the whole authentic roadtrip experience, I wanted to eat at roadside diners and sleep in one-off hotels.
Um. What was I thinking??
After a microsecond of checking out a place downtown, I scurried back to the main highway and found a 'chain'. I wanted to stay cheap and I decided against a privately owned establishment and went with ... are you ready??
ECONOLODGE! I figured it was safe enough.
 Figured is not reality.
I paid the guy $70 for the night while he hardly said one word to me since he was speaking Arabic to someone on the phone. The lobby was presentable - it wasn't some romantic getaway, or a business trip I could expense my accommodations to, it was just me looking for a place to sleep. So I was alright with (the lobby so far anyway).
I get my key, grab my bag and walk up the stairs to an outside hallway and find my room.
 Its not that bad at first glance. Its no Waldorf Astoria, but again, it'll do.
I was hungry (shocking) and went on the hunt for some food. I didn't find food, but I found a Shoppers Drug Mart with a sweet little girl who was chatty and showing me all kinds of new make up etc. I'd chewed my nails off for some reason on the way into (Kamloops) and to prevent looking like a crackhead when seeing my friends for the first time in 15 years, I had to buy nail polish and all the goodness that comes with a self manicure.
I return to my room - turn the tv on, and start on my nails. I watch Mystic Pizza (for the very first time) while painstakingly painting my nubs of nails.
Nail are dry, movie watched, but I'm still not tired. But have to go to sleep - I have a big day ahead of me.
I am suddenly overtaken by a bad feeling of 'what have I done'? As I was pretty sure at best, one drug deal had occured here today. I was so sketched out, but still climbed into bed, gingerly taking the top cover, refusing to think about the possiblities of the pillow I was about to lay my head on, and turned it down so it didn't touch me.
I laid there.
Heart pounding.
I could hear every sound. Real or imaginary. But I still heard them.
So I jumped out of bed, grabbed a sleeping pill and popped it.
There was no way I wanted to be awake when the door burst in and my murder took place.
But next thing I know, I'm awake.
Alive. Not murdered in the least.
I feel silly for being so scared . (when did I turn into such a pansy??)
I went to look out the window and heres what on the blind:
 And those finger prints? They're not soap finger prints ....
and I no longer feel silly for being scared
 I come down the stairs and this is what greets me. Eeks. Its gonna be a long ol' drive in the snow.
 In alignment with my committment to make the best of this trip and try new things, I decide to go next door and eat at Harolds. Its a diner atmosphere with very modern surroundings. Which naturally takes away from the diner atmosphere. The server - she was great, the food was delish and the coffee, mediocre, but better than I'd hoped.
(Please note the photo bomb - the Four Seasons Motel sign in the background- pretty sure they've fooled someone, somewhere)
 Soooo ... wanna get closer to God? Drive the Coquihalla Pass during a snowstorm.
 All kareoke had ceased, no more laughing to Ellen DeGeneres on 'tape', radio turned off, it was total silence save for the audible beating of my heart. (couldn't enhance my chances of dying any more by taking a picture) 18 wheelers passing me at, oh, lets say, 120km/h, throwing slush all over my windshield.
I wasn't having fun at this point and questioned my wisdom in making such a trip.
(this is a reenactment - based on actual events-  this is what my face looked like probably for 2 hours while I drove these roads) Ah - nothing a little Botex won't fix. jk jk
This is the coolest thing ever though - a runaway lane for truckers. I wanted to try it out for myself but didn't want to tempt karma.
 This was prettier in person. Dusk on the mountains was pretty incredible. However, I don't know where that was taken seeing I got to Van before nightfall. I'm guessing before Kamloops the night before.
VANCOUVER!!
Welcome back Leanne - nothings changed! Rain and traffic jams!
 So after seeing Carmen and Derek after 15!! years and meeting their lovely little children, Mark deVries came over and we hung out for the evening, essentially getting to know one another again. Because, really, you can't ask 'So whats new?' after all this time.
That was Friday, on Saturday, I went for a run for an hour or so in the hurricanish winds, got another sore throat and Carmen, her little girl and I went shopping (shockingly to Lululemon) and for lattes at Starbucks.
After we went for sushi in their little part of the city called Steveston (another wonderful little spot) Mark and Derek are pictured below. Nobody changed. Everyone even looks the same. Theres just kids and disipline and hockey and soccer involved now.
 When I lived in Van, in 1994, Derek and Carmen were dating and of course, spent a lot of time alone; Which left Mark D, Mark R and I to wander streets doing silly dares and exotic meals (exotic to me, the 19 year old Cape Bretoner was sushi and such). We went downtown to Cloud 9 fo, the revolving restaurant for dessert (I got dizzy) and it was sincerely like old times, Mark D flying through the streets, Derek in front telling him how to drive and Carmen and I in the back giggling at the boys. It felt like I was in a time machine. Pretty special if you think of it. Not the time machine part, but the other part.
 Here were are. I love this girl. Carmen - who took me in as a friend when I was brand new to the city and we were an instant hit! She's not aged or changed, its crazy. I'd like to think my eyebrows are better than they were when I was here last. No really. I saw photos. (think Bert, Ernie)
Then Mark Ritchie and his sweet little family came over and we ate dessert and played Catch Phrase and Pit. Again, nothing changed, the chemistry between everyone was the same as it was so long ago.
Derek and Mark R fighting, Mark R screwing me over while I frown upon realizing this, call him a jerk and return the 'screw ya over' favor, and Mark D and Carmen quietly fitting in, the calm amongst the three storms.
 Here we are! (photo taken by an 11 year old)
 I'm getting tired and will write more tomorrow about the rest of my amazing reunions with some very special people.

 
I hate to say it because its such a churchy word - but I truly feel blessed, especially after this trip and blah blah blah how much joy the visits I had brought me. I'm uncomfortable with cheesy stuff like that, but in this case, it couldn't be more true.

Cheers til Tomorrow!

LeeLeeMac





3 comments:

Heidi @ Idlehide said...

Great Post, Lee. I wish I was your co-pilot for the trip. Glad you had a fun trip! xo

marko said...

Hey Lee,
That was great! Thoroughly enjoyed the whole post. Those mountains are incredible, the hotel was indeed sketchy, the driving scary. I for one can never get to sleep at a hotel. Pretending i am writing about wierd things that are happening to me makes it easier to tolerate them.

I remember those guys, and Carmen climbing on the Cow outside Cows, and then getting embarrased at the guys driving by who told her to "GET OFF THE ****ing COW!! haha, good times. Great that you had such a good time. Did AK take you out for lunch?

love you, Mark

ramonassister said...

Heidi, you can be my co-pilot anytime.
Mark, they remembered you too! Remember we got our picture taken western style and Derek was asking for a machine gun?
AK IS out to lunch, and I have no interest in going THERE.