Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm Here!

Hey - coming to you from Northern Alberta!
I arrived on Saturday afternoon to 21 degree weather!
(though I'm now being blamed for bringing in the cold rain! :)
The trip was uneventful.
I flew WestJet. Amazing.
The flight attendants were so friendly and accommodating.
I was in row 18 with a mom and her 13 month old, and another gentleman.
And the FA came by and asked if I would be more comfortable in the first row.
Didn't take me too long to unfasten my seatbelt and get my butt up there. (as it was a 5 hour flight)
So it was nice to have on-demand service, lots of leg room and noone going to the bathroom, saying "excuse me ... "
Leaving Halifax was ha-rd. I knew I'd be sad saying goodbye to Adam, but it was brutal.
I was trying to be 'strong', but we got in the truck in the Bay at 6 am (still dark) and we weren't down the road 2 minutes and I was breaking down.
Seriously the hardest thing I've had to do in a really long time.
In Calgary waiting for my connection to Fort Mac, the announcement came over the loudspeaker "Passengers travelling on flight 242 to Halifax, please proceed to Gate 49"
I must admit, I considered it.
But I arrived safely, without incident and was greeted by Mom and Dad.

The city isn't as bad as people said it was. It's actually kind of pretty. It reminds me of Smithers , BC.
I had the WalMart experience. The Save On Foods trip and a jaunt to the mall.
And I had the distinct priviledge of consuming, now two, of Iris' mouth watering, savoury meals.
Absolutely to die for.

Marilu and Handley are quite the pair. Handley calls me Auntie Le-lan, and sometimes Auntie Lashley. (i assume confusing both Ashley and I) and he is cute beyond words. His dimples and crazy head of curls puts him on high alert for random attacks and smothering kisses.
I haven't seen much of Barry. He's a night shift guy, so he sleeps most of the day.

I met with a guy from Halifax (we have various mutual friends) last night who gave me the ins and outs of Fort Mac and the camps. I am having dinner with Cora tonight. She lives up the street. I had brunch with a girl I knew in Halifax who is from here (and building a gorgeous house outside of town).

I am really lonesome and so nervous about getting work. (I know, ridiculous) But its the unknown and quite frankly, I am overwhelmed. But here I am and have to get buck up and just get it done.

Later .....

Leanne

1 comment:

Ramona said...

Thanks for the update- I've been wondering how it all went.

Love you! I know it was hard on you but it's all for a good cause :)

Love, R