Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Typical Firebag Schedule

The camp I live at is called Firebag.
Named after Firebag River which runs closeby.
A firebag is a leather pouch that was used by the natives long ago to hold embers from the fire so when they needed to build another one, they had some heat and coals already.
Thats your history lesson for the day.
Back to the task at hand.
This is typically what happens from Pre-Sunrise to the Bedtime.
5:00 am - alarm goes off. i hit snooze
5:10 am - i hit snooze again
5:20 am - i hit snooze for the last time. (if i don't have to wash my hair)
5:30 am - grab my robe, shower stuff, toothpaste and brush, put on my "pink goof boots" (as Biker Dave calls them- they are pink fuzzy slipper boots - i love them), stumble down the hall, hoping noone sees me in this state. Noone generally does. When they do, all eye contact is averted ....
6:00 am - go on the internet, see if theres any messages or if Mo has updated her page.
6:20 am - wonder where the time went
6:21 am - scramble around my room, get dressed in my long johns, three pair of wool socks, four layers of shirts, put make up on (yes, i wear make up here - theres very very few ways to feel feminine here - so make up is necessary), pack my bag with snacks, Storme style, an extra layer, lots of water, a book, my blackberry, my notebook, pen with lots of ink, pack up the lap top, make my bed (to have it re-made by the cleaner later), take my vita -greens and daily vitamin, grab my hard hat, safety vest, and out the door.
6:28 am - drop my overloaded bag by the boots and search for my generic steel toes. not hard. the smallest and cleanest pair. drive my feet into them, pick my bag and hard hat up, sweating already, and stomp out the door. (ever try to walk delicately in un-tied steel toed boots?)
6:30 am - arrive at the kitchen trailer. drop my overloaded bag, and hard hat, make small talk and remarks about the weather to those doing the same. slip out of my (see,,,, now are you getting it?) UN-TIED boots and go into the kitchen line up, grab some fresh pineapple, grapes, wraps, rice krispie squares, celery sticks with honey mustard salad dressing to dip them in, some ruby red grapefruit juice (my favorite in all the land) for my break snacks, then grab a bowl of cereal, toss some strawberries or something on it and inhale.
6:46 am - wish i didn't leave this to the last minute - every day.
6:46 am - make my way to the 'tent' - which is our gathering place for our morning meeting which is called a Safety Meeting, Toolbox Meeting or Tailgate Meeting. All it is is we sign in, sit on our benches (we all sit in the same spot every day - weird) and listen to Safety get up and give a little speech on something, like three point contact when exiting a machine etc. occasionally a foreman will tell a joke ... and Foreman Mike gets up, and gives us our instructions for the day.
7:30 am - get on the short bus (for reals) that takes us to our job sites. Mine is always the last site to go to, so I get the tour.
8:00 am - get to my machine. do my walk around. think its way too cold to have an outside job.
sit in machine and shiver and shake until it warms up, defrosts, i write out my time card for that job, fill in my equipment checklist and make my way across the road to my site.
8:20 am - get to my site and start packing ( I drive a packer most days) and start planning my future. For the 12th time that rotation (or whatever day I am at)
10:00 am - go for a bathroom break whether or not I need it. Sitting for that long is bad for your blood and mind and hip joints.
10:10 am - back in the packer
10:30 am - coffee time. don't know why the call it coffee time. theres no coffee in sight. and the stuff from the morning is long since cold. (thouuuuugh.... i, as a joke, told my foreman, Steve, that just like the old days when secretaries made their bosses coffee, foremen should bring their operators coffee at break time. Well,,,,, sometimes he does!)
so this getting boring, right? think about it in real time. just THINK about how bored I get - sitting, packing, only occasionally moving out of a dozers way .....
2:00 pm - another potty break -
2:30 pm - coffee time - again ...no coffee ??
4:00 pm - another potty break - look - i need the exercise and sometimes the foreman will come along and ask if you need a break and just take you to the nice bathrooms. then you get some human interaction and a nice comfy Duramax or Cummins seat.
5:30 pm - signal from the dozer to stop work.
5:30:01 pm - stop work
5:31 pm - park packer. let engine cool while gathering your not so overstuffed anymore bag and completing said time card. making sure all garbage is picked up, cab is clean for nightshift.
5:35 pm - hop in short bus, tell Wayne you had a great day, how was his ? and sit down.
5:45 pm - dump bag, hardhat, vest, 2 layers on floor of room, go on internet again before the circuits get too busy and check for messages.
6: 00 pm - shower, or every other day, change into gym clothes and get the shuttle which takes you to 8:00 pm)
6:30 pm - (stretching evening out) go to kitchen trailer
7:00 - 8:00 pm - depending on the level of entertainment in the lunch room, hang around and have a lot of crazy laughs and unbelieveable stories ....
8:00 pm - down time, reading, cleaning, organizing for the next day.
9:00 pm - bedtime .......
Ever see the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell?
Life at camp is like Groundhog Day.

Ask anybody what day it is and for a second, they will look blankly at you and peer at the sticker on their sandwich to see what day it says ... the thing is, you don't care what day it is because it doesn't even matter. all that matters is how many days until you fly out .... its the weirdest feeling.
its like living in the twilight zone or something.

thats all. thats how my days go. they ARE boring, but theres many bright moments in them. The radio talk is mostly funny, the toolbox meeting is always a laugh ....

that's all
xo
L.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

For boring, you sure make it sound interesting! Glad you are finding some bright spots in it. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Just had to say thanks for the laughs...especially liked the 'checking the sticker on the sandwich' to know what day it is! Keep your sense of humor and you'll do fine! Love Gwen

Anonymous said...

your feet are the smallest???

hehe. just kidding of course. Thought I would remind you how funny I am.

very entertaining, keep us informed.

Love you,
Mark

Anonymous said...

hi there
I will probably sound insane to you but I have some questions about firebag. Personal, woman to woman. I am real with real feelings so if you can't answer me nicely then please don't answer at all.(not u in general but other smartasses) I have been married for 5 yrs to a man that stays in Firebag in situ camp. 5 yrs later, I know nothing about his job, what he does all day, his schedule. a work number for emergengies, or how much he makes. It was very comforting to read your blog and see what a day in the life is like up there.
Now, the wierd part, my husband has been very untrusworthy about emails and camp, interactions, etc.
Could you please blog about the "taboo" life up there. Like I have heard that hookers come to camp (or other workers) and offer $50 "haircuts", I was also told that you can't leave camp unless your flying in or out. Is there extra marrital affairs that go on? Do you know what a day in life of a supervisor for the control room is like? Do you have gatherings or parties or is it a dry camp? And last of all, if you have a suncor.com email account how do you check it from home?
I plan to follow your blog, I find it very interesting. PLEASE don't get me wrong, I am not some nosey wife, I am wife that just wants to know what the real day in the life is like up there. No BS. I don't need to know what MY husband is doing, just what goes on in general.
Thank you for everything so far. I look forward to reading more of your days. It sounds like you need a fun gals 7 day all inclusive somewhere warm!
Cheers,
anonymous.girl

ramonassister said...

Dear Anonymous:
Let me attempt to answer your questions. And yes, they will be honest. I don't work up there anymore, so any post I have up already is probably all I'll blog about it (for now anyway).
Okay - I will try and answer them as you asked them:
First of all, there are no hookers and $50 haircuts. The only people allowed on site are employees. So any outsiders would have to have a legit business reason. My dad came to visit me one night and they didn't even let him in - and he had proper id from another camp close by etc. So they are pretty strict about that.
Yes, you can leave, you don't have to be flying out. If theres a snow day/rain day, or no work day, you can leave the site.
Extra martial affairs? Yes there are. I was living in a really really small camp where the only people there were from my company, which was a small construction company - maybe it is more prominant in a bigger camp, but it definitely goes on.
Firebag is dry. Doesn't mean theres no alcohol there, but theres definitely no gatherings where they are drinking - unless its quietly in a room and the booze has been snuck in.
A day in the life of a control room supervisor? i don't really know. I was on a rock truck. (it doesn't sound too exiting though... being stuck in a control room :-))
I don't know how you'd check a Suncor email from home. They probably have a special email website to go to to log in. I didn't have one so I'm not entirely sure what the answer is.
I doubt my answers made you feel better. And I'm sorry for that - but theres no point lying, is there?
And I'm glad you like the blog, it was quite the interesting experience up there. And yes, a 7 day, no a 2 month sun filled getaway is in order !!
Thanks for stopping by.
Take Care

Anonymous said...

My husband is thinking about applying for a job at Firebag. I was reading that a "NEW" camp was going to be built. Has it been built yet? I heard that the old one was terrible. Thanks.

ramonassister said...

The NEW camp is almost built, but is sinking into the ground. (seriously)but boasts (boasted) of several gyms, and a Tim Hortons and various other luxuries. And there were a few camps on Firebag site. The main Firebag camp WAS terrible. The gym was so shoddy, and if you run for 20 minutes on the treadmill, you get pretty serious lung issues. Its about 50 feet from the actual plant and the smell was always so terrible.
Camp life in general is actually quite terrible. At the time, you kind of put up with it because you're in that mindframe and the money you are getting is ridiculous. But being out of that environment for a while - you really realize what its like and the actual damage it can do to your psyche.
BUT you're not paying rent or groceries, so there are advantages to living like that.
And another thing about Firebag - There are many, many companies that work there - contractors- of different industries and trades.
And from what I heard from a former co-worker tonight, things are really picking up there, so maybe your husband will have his pick of work!
Thanks for stopping by !
Leanne

Anonymous said...

Im gonna be starting up in firebag in a few weeks, ive been pretty anxious/nervous. Your blog really calmed my nerves!