Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back at 'er

I'm back at Firebag after a long and tiring journey to get here.
We left Halifax at 4:30, stopped in Hamilton to refuel and pick up more passengers, then off to Winnipeg to get more campers.
It was in Hamilton where my lovely, spacious, easy-conversation, relaxed trip was brutally shattered by a 6'3 ... TALKER.
Within 5 minutes I knew he age, where he lived, his wifes name and age, her height and weight, daughters name, boyfriends name, where his boat is kept, how often he works out, how many years he's been working out, that he plays the drums and that he's a quote really good guy unquote.
My orignal seat mate and this new guy know each other.
So I squished in the middle and for the next 5 hours, had to listen to his crazy stories. Mind you, some of them were good. Really good in fact. He's led quite the colourful life.
But buddy, COME ON ...... I dont' need to know you and your best friend are born 10 days apart, like - how does that even apply to the situation ??
He is a really nice guy, I don't know if he was nervous and felt any silence had to be filled up, but by the end of it, I felt like punching him in the mouth.
We all slept from Winnipeg until we were descending into Firebag - but the instant we were all awake, seat belts firmly fastened, chairs in the upright position, bags and jackets stowed safely under the seats - he was at it again.
I was in absolute shock that someone could talk that much.
THEN we were stuck on the plane because the stairs were frozen - and HE KEPT TALKING.
I was almost frantic. By now it was 10:50 pm.
We got on our respective buses, got our luggage at the main building, got to camp, had to get our keys for our rooms ...
it was a laaaaaate night.
11:30 pm Alberta time. 2:30 am my time.
And after the amount of sleep I'd been getting being a bum for 27 days,
I was t-i-r-e-d !
5:00 came early
Went to the toolbox
and I don't have to work today.
Official reason: slow start. The first day back, they have to prep the trucks and pad sites.
That's okay. Gives me time to get my room straightend up and
wrap my mind around doing this for 19 days.
I am really struggling today. Apparently its the first-day-back blues.
I am feeling really overwhelmed. Its super lonely here.
But am not going to back down from this challenge ....
I swear I'm not ...
really ...
I'm going to stay ....
honest ...

3 comments:

Ramona said...

I was waiting for this update!

Glad to hear you made it out there safely. I am not glad to hear your lonely and overwhelmed :( we'll keep in touch and befor eyou know it the 19 days will be past.

Love you!
Mo

Anonymous said...

give me a call and I will tell you stories about my exciting life...

love ya,
Mark

Anonymous said...

You are one of the strongest and most determined people I know. If anybody can do this, it's you!! Love you and miss you xoox