Monday, July 25, 2011

Stranger Danger

I have several female co-workers but theres three of us who have really bonded. They are roomates in Calgary, and both are hysterical. Tassie is a close clone to Angelina Jolie; exotic (German/Ukranian), 5'10, and hilarious. Sherri is half Asian, 5'3, looks like Lisa Ling and has the same wit as Ellen Page. We laugh so much and so loud and long and obnoxious. Sherri will repeat a conversation she's had with someone word for word with the exact accents and we keel over laughing. And she deadpans; she'll say something side-splitting and keep eating while Tass and I can hardly see we're laughing so hard. And in a few weeks, we're going to have back to back schedules which saddens us all very deeply.

Sooooo ... wading through all that to get to this:

We've started a 'Stranger a Day' initiative since soon we're going to be on our own at various times. We pick a stranger at breakfast or dinner and sit with them, ask them invasive personal questions and completely disrupt their quiet time.

Since we end up at the table at different times, these poor people who were enjoying their meal have no idea what is happening when Angelina, Lisa Ling and myself show up about 30 seconds after each other. Its amusing.

The following are the results of our study:

Lane, a labourer (I think) from somewhere in BC (he and T has struck up a friendship)

Colin- Sydney Mines, Pitt Street to be exact (now we're buds since we know the same people)

Kaye and Mary - Electrician and I'm assuming an Admin from Edmonton (one of them told us death stories, we were depressed living the dining room)

Ian - Ironworker from Barrie, Ont.

Butch - Scaffolder from Cape Breton, cute little guy I had breakfast with one am.

No Name (Maybe Michael) from Scotland - we scared him and he doesn't sit with us anymore. We see him across the room and laugh because our conversation that night truly frightened him.

Liz- Admin from Ottawa area.

Thats all I remember - I'm not as outgoing as the other two (or as young and eager, maybe??) and I may sit with them, but I usually wait until they engage me.

And these people who are unaware that they are an experiment, are now referred to as 'Stranger Ian, etc .. '

I wonder if I'll ever grow up.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Glad to hear you aren't alone up there and are having some fun while your at it! Miss you!!