Friday, May 2, 2008

I Changed My Mind

Here’s a little tale of humanity
Up the street from my place is a pizza joint.

And to go anywhere, I need to pass by it.
On any given day, I walk by it at the very least 4 times.
Sometimes up to 8.
And every time I walk by, there are people
standing around (the owners?) either smoking, hanging out
in their vehicles with the doors open and music blaring,
playing hackey-sack, Frisbee, Catch, Football.
Inside my head I judge them. (I’m just being real here)
I think they are kind of creepy and frankly, kind of loserish.
(which isn’t really a word)
(seriously though, do you need 6 guys to operate a pizza
shop that has one delivery guy, and is so small that only two
people can stand inside the store to order?)
Just makes me wonder.
They are always polite and give a courteous hello,
and they stop their play to let me pass.
Ok. So here’s where the change takes place.
If you read a few entries ago, there was an assault on the street
next to mine. So I vowed to call a cab when I come home from Opa after my shift.
BUT …. Cabs cost money …. I am a bank card user … I never have cash …. It’s a pain in the neck to wait for one…. It’s only a 5 minute walk home …. The list goes on.
So last night, I was walking home at around 10:00. I ran to McD’s for some (yummmo) grilled wraps. There were lots of people around, extremely busy city because of Worlds (Hockey). And I felt safe. But I turned down my street and I could hear two guys in the next parking lot, swearing,
talking really loud and crass about women, using derogatory terms to describe them etc.
I’m not easily scared and for some reason, this made me really nervous.
So I stopped by the pizza place. (as expected, someone was on the doorstep)
And I started to explain that I was nervous because of recent events blah blah… I didn’t even have to finish.
It was no problem. He would walk me home. No questions asked.
I felt silly because the offending factors turned down another street.
Better safe than sorry.
And one thing I’ve learned in life is TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!
And my new friend ‘Chris’ assured me that he’d rather walk me the 5 houses to mine than see me nervous or hurt.
Funny. I don’t think they’re losers anymore.
And am ashamed I ever thought that.
Lessons Learned.
Everyday.
I guess that’s life. Isn’t it?

No comments: