Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Roller Coaster Ride ....

..... that is my life .
Sooooooo. I get the call from the office to go back as a Rocker, as you all know.
I get my hopes up, I'm getting work.
Super. Its worked out perfectly.
I go spend money on a cell phone that works up there.
I get a year contract in order to get the good plan.
I go to Walmart and buy an alarm clock, shower gel, etc etc etc.
I put all my clothes in rubbermaid bins.
I pack all my work jeans shirts coveralls steeltoe boots gloves
I spend alot of time preparing, alot of money on necessities.
I get there. Get settled. See all my old buddies. Hug. Hello. How are you. I missed you. Welcome back.
I go to the Toolbox meeting. (the 7am "heres where you're working today" meeting).
Its Tuesday. Dechant (the co. we are hauling for) isn't starting up now until Friday.
I come back to Fort Mac until Thursday. Most people did.
We all drive back with the town runner; regaling stories of our time off.
I go to Toolbox on Friday. I'm on the Dechant haul.
Super. Great. Its going to be awesome to be in a truck again.
Friday goes off without a hitch.
Or does it?
I parked in the line up at 5:30 and my foreman calls me over the radio to come see him.
I 10-4 and finish filling out my time card, start washing the incredibly dirty windows.
Figure I'll take too long, so I go to his truck.
Hi, he says, I hate to the barer of bad news.
You're serious I say.
Then he starts into his (pardon me if i sound bitter - at that moment i was) equivilant of "its not you, its me speech". They'd hired too many etc. (Kinda funny how the brand new hires who are friends of the construction manager didn't get any "i'm just not into you" chats)
I went back to my truck - briefly considering NOT finishing my little clean up task. But thought better and made that baby shine !
So ............... here I am. Back in the Mac.
It didn't take me long to not feel bad about leaving.
While I realize thats the nature of the business - if thats how business is handled, I'm pretty okay with not being a part of it. And while I also realize thats how business is often handled in the construction industry, doesn't make it any better. So I think I'll take off these sunshine colored glasses and see what else is out there for me!
And I've gotten so many (former) co-workers who are on my side about it - though thats not helping bring in any cash - psychologically, it helps.
So thats the latest. I'm off to Edmonton on Monday to a job fair and I may as well slip over to Calgary and check out the scene there too.
This time I'm bringing the GPS.
I just want to not live out of a suitcase. Its been since October. Its getting a little tiring.

But I continue to be a ball of sunshine and wonder if I'm living on delusion or faith. The line is blurred.

Thats all folks.
L.

1 comment:

skinnylickingood said...

On my brother's crew, in Feb. there was a new addition, a skinny 19 year old girl with no experience to do a job with the potential to be heavy labor, by the end of the day they found out that she was the daughter of a major shareholder of a huge contract they had, so the experienced guys that were laid off couldn't really say anything. That my dear is life, especially in this economic climate! It sucks but what can ya do!
Calgary is a good place to spend some time, just stop talking to street people, learn to sternly say "GET!!" with your finger pointed out into traffic.
Be big city, at least when you are alone and out in it, scowl and don't look anybody in the eye. Yes, avoid eye contact, that's how they know you're weak. Make it look like you are looking over their shoulder for your buddy to cross the road and give ya some back. And Thank God you didn't choose Toronto or Vancouver!!! lol