Monday, December 7, 2009

Life's Little Pleasures

Even though life isn't what I've been expecting right now, there are lots of reasons its good.

Friday: Southern Alberta is hit with a raging snow storm that started at 8 am, right at rush hour and it hit HARD! The city shuts down, you can't see out your window, cars are off the road (25 between Calgary and Airdrie), city busses shut down (or turn "off", see below), snow drifts pile higher and higher as the days wears on. I shoveled twice (the only time I left the house that day). Despite people being stuck in traffic for 4 hours, I was home - warm, cozy, updating resumes and the like, snuggled in my thick Lulu hoodie, puffy pink LaSenza slippers, and trademark Still Pant, it was a good day.



I didn't take these pictures, I got them off the Calgary Herald website or something.
THEN .... on Saturday. I TOTALLY slept in like a hungover teenager. Actually, Maria and I both did. I woke up around 7, I figured, I never sleep in, its Saturday, its minus a million outside, its not like I'm missing anything .... and I rolled over and went back to sleep - missed a coffee date request via text msg from Julie at 9:30. Called her back at 11 and she was on her way to work in Airdrie (and she counted the 25 cars off the road). Whew - and rolled over and went back to sleep. SERIOUSLY. I felt like a total bum when I got up at noon. I felt like a Will Farrell charactor waking up stretching loudly and proclaiming that I can't believe I slept that long that I never sleep that long I've wasted the day. Then I realized I deserved it and I shut up. Julie got off work early and we met at the mall near my house (on a Saturday in December - NOT my idea) for sushi at 2:00. I luff her. And we got our pictures taken with Santa - I'm pulling his beard and she's sticking her tongue out and pretending to give him a Wet Willy. We are constantly mistaken for sisters, 'twins even' the elderly lady we shared a brunch table with at church would later tell us.
Anyway, I managed to get to church on Saturday night - that little car is so much fun (Thanks Mom, for having such amazing winter tires on it!!) e-braking through snow drifts like the true-blue country girl I am, then driving like an old lady down the 52nd street ice rink !! I got there and back safe and snuggled in my huge comfy couch, fleece blanket, hot chocolate and popcorn and girly movie and settled in for the night (at 10:30) and couldn't figure out why I was so wide awake at such a late hour .... then realized sleeping til noon makes you less tired the following night!
THEN ....
Sunday I had to be at church for 8:30 to volunteer at the child minding service they have. I've signed up for 2 year olds. So flippin' cute I could hardly stand it, we watched Veggie Tales, read books, played with playdoh and blew bubbles. Met a cool mom (all new moms here are super skinny - its a little freaky) who went to school with Ray and Dee's son Danny and now wants me to come over some night for dinner. So hilarious ! The Mathesons should jointly run for mayor!
The church has a monthly brunch so Julie and I stayed around for the later serving and had 90 minutes to kill so we wandered around FAC, (I am continually amazed at how huge that place is!) singing old lady choir style to the worship team Christmas Carols (the service is streamed throughout the entire building) and chatting in the huge couches by the huge windows overlooking the huge Rockies. We tried to find a quiet spot to watch naughty You-Tube videos on her iPhone and who walked around the corner as we're sitting ON the receptionists desk upstairs howling at a Saturday Night Live skit, but Ray. We had a little visit with him, then proceeded to the 'Harvest Room' where delicious, fresh omeletes were being custom created. We had great company at our table - lots of older ladies and we met an amazing woman from Iran. Her story is incredible. Then off to a Starbucks, Crate and Barrel, Coach and more mall wandering and window shopping.
Whew! What a long post.
I'll wrap up quickly with the Mustard Seed. It was my first night as volunteer coordinator and it was super busy. Ryan makes it look so easy, and .... its not as stressful as I made it for myself, so next week, I should be calmer about it all. I think I lost like 5 lbs running around though! It was another late night, but so fulfilling and I had a pretty crazy conversation with someone who is addicted to crack cocaine and trying to avoid going down that road when life gets bumpy. He's been clean for a while now, but thats his default and he's really serious about getting his life back on track. The Seed has him on a program to get him on his feet, with rehab, job search, and life skills to live on his own. He hopes to be out of the shelter by March. And a 21 year old girl just got here last night from Edmonton, totally out of it on something, she was the tiniest little thing I'd ever seen as an adult - probably anorexic with definite drug addictions. I've said this before, but its the young girls who really get me. I am such a softie when it comes to them and they could be totally manipulating me (as that is how they survive on the street, total manipulation of any system, be it, governmental or goodness of heart) but I take extra care of them because all I can think of is "this kid is someone's daughter - some dad or mom has either completely dropped the ball on their kid, or is frantically praying for their safety and return. She was a tiny, innocent little baby at one point and now she is scrounging around a donation clothing room because literally she has only the (dirty) clothes on her back. And I don't know why I am so bothered by it - I think because I want children so badly myself and would love a little daughter (or son, of course) to peices, and here these parents have squandered their chance at raising a self sufficient, confident, happy adult. Having said all that judgemental stuff .... its not always the parents lack of love or parenting skills, but the kids have fallen into the wrong crowd and drugs are far more powerful than we (who haven't been caught up in that spiral) can ever imagine.
Wow. I didn't mean to get so deep. Sorry 'bout that.
On a happier note! I got to see my Bree last night too. She's so busy with her new bf and work and school that our time together is gold. She's a solid friend and I feel so lucky to know her.
I'm peacing out - gotta get to the gym, run downtown and do some kind of test at the temp agency, and off to Streetlight tonight with Maria.
xo
LeeLeeMac

No comments: