Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dream a Little Dream

Ok. You've heard me talk about it.
Africa.
Orphanages.
Mission work.
Filling this void in my soul.
Listening to God.
Serving.
Africa.

The reason I moved out to AB in the first place was to work, makes rock trucks of money, go to Africa for a month - help build a school, church, whatever, and settle back into life in Halifax.

Well. We all know how that turned out. Not as I'd planned - but my plans don't matter. I'm glad and greatful and humbled that MY ideas were wrong. Its been through my involvement with First Alliance, Maria, and the people who haved lived in this house, that I've really kept persuing mission work. I am surrounded by Africa. Anyone who I've given a skype tour of my house to can attest to that! My place is completely decorated in African masks, animals, animal prints, cool African chairs. I am surrounded by love for missions on all sides. I've met so many people, random and not - that've gone on trips and are so excited for my plans.

I will try and keep this short.

In several conversations with Maria over the past 10 months about my desire to go overseas, she's placed me in contact with a good friend of hers who works for Watoto ministry. I've emailed her with a million questions and received a response yesterday. It makes me almost weep with both anticipation and fear and realization that this dream of mine has started to move. Truly, honestly started to move. I was getting so discouraged with setbacks, both financially and personally that I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to realize this possibility. So with renewed hope and resiliant faith, I'm sharing with you and will continue to update on the process.

I will need prayer. If you want to know where I need the most guidance, I will tell you: If you feel so inclined to shoot some prayer rockets up - I'm really looking to have my heart opened and prepared for the "right" orphanage. There are several with very different types of living conditions. Some are in a city, which are busy and westernized, some are really far from emenities. (true African culture). I need to be shown where I will be utilized the most and where I will benefit both spiritually and personally. I realize there will be alot of personal growth and I need to stop 'romantizing' it and thinking, as usual, that its going to be all sunshine and lollipops. I know my heart is in the right place, my prayer is that it remains that way, as its easy to get caught up in the cool factor of going over there.

I also need to be given the wisdom (?), discipline (!!) to save money. I'm a shopoholic and spontaneous flight booker, and need to keep a rein on that kind of thing. I hope to have enough money to fly over, live for three months, come back and be able to unwind for a month, and not worry about cash flow. Impossible on the onset, but I've seen crazier miracles unfold! I am considering sponsorship, sending out prayer letters to church members, having a fundraiser of sorts - more for the awareness, (as well as the money, of course). But would like to able to set this goal and make it happen myself.

There. I said it. I dreamed a dream out loud.

If you want to check out Watoto ministry go to: www.watato.com .

(The anticipated time frame for this is Aug/Sept 2010)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome, i hope everything works out for you to go. I know how badly you want to go, i will be praying for you. Love you!
-Heidi

Gwen said...

If you come to Africa to work with orphans I know you won't be disappointed...and you will go home a different person. It can't help but change us! I'll pray more for you, love Gwen xo