Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bring it on 35! I Don't Even Give a Care!

Groundhog Day in pop culture is a day where regardless of any other news/wars/earthquakes/celebrity breakup-hookup-scandal-lovechild or other A-Listers accomplishments, its a rodent makes the front pages news.
Every February 2nd.
Will he see his shadow?
Did he see his shadow? Is there any repreive from our crazy, cold, Canadian winter?? Its all folklore, but its fun.
Its also my birthday. (every year - please cue amazingly un-unfunny comment that is equated to 'what day is it today?. Tuesday. All day")
February 2nd. 1975. A month early. 6lbs, 8oz. 8:00 am. Sydney, Nova Scotia. St. Rita's Hospital. Dr. Somebody ( i forget). Third child. Second daughter. Baby sister.
And every year, my Grandmie would ask me if I'd seen my shadow that morning. And this is the first year since she passed away that I remembered and it made me really sad.
And every year, I'd have some sort of party - a sleepover some years, which grew more popular as more babies entered our family. I'd get to pick what was for supper that night, which was always curry chicken. (now I kinda hate curry). And I'd get to wear my gift to school that day, always opening a present in the morning. On years I didn't particularly care about guests or much frou frou, we'd just have cake with grandparents and siblings around the big pine table.
Every year, its "my" new years resolution time. Just the non-conformist in me, I guess.
And every year in the past 5, its gotten harder to face this day. As the good memories of my childhood birthdays fade, and the harsh reality that is mid-thirties sets in, I just want the day to pass quietly and quickly.
So noone at the office, 'cept for my cube neighbour, Jen and another co-worker knew, and the latter took me out for lunch, while Jen. Oh. Dear. Jen.
Seriously, one of the sweetest girls I've ever met in my 'HOLE life. Everyday I realize how much nicer, sweeter, calmer, sincere, guileless I could and should be by just being around her. BUT she told the creepy guy who sits in the cube behind me. ( I am getting goosebumps reliving this ) who proceeded to email me at the end of the day asking me for lunch to 'mark the occasion'. *shiver down spine*. I was picturing his John Malkovic grin as he was probably sitting in his cube watching me read this email, hand frozen on mouse, swallowing hard as my mouth now resembled a giant cotton ball. I diplomatically wrote back bemoaning the state of my completely packed calendar for the next three lifetimes, "but I'd let him know". Don't be hatin' on me. One thing I've learned in life is trust your intuition .... and if you really want to give me a hard time about this judgement, I'll fill you in on a little secret .... my intuition is always right. Always.
Regardless, the day passed without the general population knowing and Julie, or JD, took me for sushi and spa night. It was glorious and amazing and we didn't want to leave. My toe nails are 'money green' and my hair was at its finest after a hottub and massage. Weren't we 'dishes' leaving there? Totally zen , hair looking like Barbara Streisand ran into an electric fence in the rain, and sleepy looking. Not just looking, but sleepy.
Then Maria, of course, came through in a big way - with a gorgeous little number for my bare wrist.

And this amazeballs scarf.

And wittle Ashwee painted this gorgeous picture for me. I love (to the tenth power) it.

The Mini Iris is from Dee. At church on Sunday, it was the Harvest Brunch (1st Sun of each month) and had my table decorated and a cake and a very public Happy Birthday song. (insert red face)
This is also from Ashley, who knows my love for the Office. And the wine cork too. A friend of Sarah's (Uriah's sister) made it. Super cute. *Side note* I'm an awful gift giver, I've somehow lost my touch of finding the perfect card and gift, so instead of sending something half-ass, I send nothing - and quite frankly, feel bad taking presents seeing I'm the worst in the history of all man-kind.

And to top off the week, I retreated, ran, hid, fled, escaped to the amazing countryside of Millarville. (Where I went horseback riding last May). I had this whole space to myself.
Truly tranquil.

Looking West. I wish everyone could experience these mountains.

At the edge of the Rockies.

This outdoor rink is right below her house and this is the only sound I heard all weekend.

I should clarify who 'her' is. A friend of Ray and Dee's owns this house, mansion, really, about 35 mins outside Calgary and she lends it out to people who want to come and totally relax. She holds retreats sometimes too. Its a concrete house with a huge wrap-around deck. I'm definitely going back there in the summer.
That's it for now, folks. The adventure never ends though, so stayed tuned for the never-ending instabilty that governs my life. Heres a thought: You know when you're doing any kind of exercise at the gym, the more unstable you, the harder your abs are working to, well, stabilize the rest of you? Well, I wonder if thats true about life. The more unstable your situation is, does that mean that you're "life abs", your, let's say spiritual (in the non religious way) core is stronger? Right now, its just making me a basket case, but in the long run .... ?
Really going this time ...
LeeLeeMac - til next post, while you wait with bated breath. :-)

1 comment:

skinnylickingood said...

Awesome view, bet ya could hear the self decompression. I'd love to get away someplace alone that didn't include working and doing other things which would leave me only 4 hours of me time to eat and shower and take care of phone obligations and others before i could try and eek out 5 hours of sleep before doing it all again.
And that's coming from someone who is happy and feels lucky to have that job.
You should get to that place as often as you can, bring your puter and keep blogging.
ps love the new years eve post, so original. : )