Monday, February 22, 2010

Anatomy of a Seed Shift

I arrive. Organize my team. Go to the Bridge (the office encased in glass) and start my report.

Do my rounds to say hello to everyone at their volunteer stations and see how they're doing, get them any supplies they need etc. Bring them Crave cupcakes or supper, and chitchat.

I give a tour to the kitchen group, who've never been there before. I answer questions I've never heard before and show them the cool stuff that I love so much about the Seed.

Go back to the Bridge chat with staff, see which cute volunteers would be a good match for them. I had them convinced that it was my new calling to be the Seed volunteer Cupid. It is divine intervention, I argue.

I answer inquires from guests about my week, my work and listen to theirs. I get analyzed by a guest who figures me to be 'quite the rebel' and when he gets out of there, he'll take me for a ride on his Harley.

I get a blanket for a gentleman who "is only going to be there for the night" and we discover we're both Aquarians, so we talk about the virtues of being abstract and whimsical and thinking outside the box. He talking more than me.

I go to the front desk where a gentleman who is ripped on crack is yelling at staff that there are undercover cops in the shelter and he needs a safe phone to call the police. This poor soul, each week I see him, and am very leary of him and his silent stare, hunched gait and unstable demeanor. He is actually one of a few guests that I am literally afraid of. And tonight proved my instincts to be right.

The cops show up to take him away and first ask him what the problem is. To which his reply is incoherent and something about guns and SWAT teams. The cops tell him that they have to take him , he asks if they have somewhere to put him. The (cops) ask him if he was welcome at the DI (Drop In center downtown) to which his reply is "um, I don't know, what if I go peacefully, can I go peacefully with you?". The cop's answer is a firm and gentle "yes, you can come peacefully, you'll have to come peacefully." This poor guy, with a history of mental health issues and a crack cocaine addiction has two trench coats on, replacing the grey tweed one he's worn since I've been there (last May) and they are both done up, and tucked into his pants with the grey tweed sash securing it. His hair is everywhere despite just having showered, and his eyes are wild and empty. I thank God for my health and social situation.

I eat my dinner - Turkey a la King on Basmati rice with salad, a jellied salad and homemade carrot cake. Pretty yummy. Great kitchen group there tonight. Pius X church (?) Beautiful people.

I go back to the Bridge - finish my reports up.

Clean up is at 830. There are big windows in the wall seperating the kitchen/common area from the mats. When clean up comes, theres a mass exodus of guests to the other side of the glass where many of them stand and observe the clean-up crew, of which they are not a part of. So tonight I walked along the windowed wall, the side where the action was being watched from and said in a sing-songy voice "This isn't a spectators sport boys, why don't you grab a rag and help out". Which leads to the Team Lead coming up to me later saying "oh man, this is stupid, but did you call **** a 'boy'?" I told him what I just told you and he said "oh, **** told me you'd called him boy, which is racist". My reaction? Well, what race is he and how the heck is the word 'boy' racist??? (like, get real people, we can't say BOY now? ) Anyway, 350 lb, 6'5 Ryan tells Tim (team lead) to go tell **** the situation and if he doesn't like it, he can leave the facility.

So, of course, I'm called racist. It happens all the time to me. Its so dumb.

I say good night to the amazing staff and a few of the guests I've connected with, drive Ryan home, get caught behind a train (beside?), sit for 20 minutes and get caught up on all the news and giggle at silly stories.

It was a perfectly well rounded Seed night. Just enough calm, just enough front desk/police action and perfect amount of happy.

Peace and Love Y'all

LeeLeeM

No comments: