Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Second Chances

(I'll try and make this quick, though I'm not good at telling stories the short way)
Bree told me a story last year about being in a parking lot of a mall and a homeless man approached her and asked her for money, and she ignored him and ran her errand. On her way out with her arms full of bags, the same man asked her the same question and she gave some sarcastic remark and went to her car, unloaded the bags and felt so terrible that she turned around to give him some cash.
But he was gone and she couldn't find him anywhere and that has haunted her since and has felt so guilty that she's been praying for a second chance to talk to this man.
So, about 8 months later, she was in the same mall parking lot and saw him again, dropped what she was doing (and this time, she was actually really busy) and went up to him and offered to buy him food at McDonalds. So she sat with him and chatted while he ate and got to know his story a little - isn't that so cool?
Sooo ... for some reason, that story really stuck with me and I've often thought of the joy she must've felt when she saw him again and was given another chance to help.
Which brings me to the second part of this:
I had spent the day with some friends at the rodeo on the last Saturday of Stampede, having lots of laughs, real-time fun and shall I say, fellowship? We were all meeting up at some restaurant downtown, but I was cold and wanted to change into warmer clothes, so on my way back, we were rushing (for no real reason actually) and walked past this bedraggled, young, sad looking man with a parka (it wasn't that cold), he was dirty with matted hair and such sad eyes. I glanced down at the cap he had on the sidewalk for change and wanted to stop, but judging by the speed of my counterparts walk, I thought it was best to keep on truckin'.
But instantly, and I mean that very exact moment, my heart broke - here I was rushing along to go eat overpriced food with people I didn't know very well, I kinda didn't want to be there as it'd been a long day (with people I had just met - I went with friends of a friend) and I was tired. When he made eye contact with him and I kept walking like I had something more important to do, I felt horrible.
I felt bad all night and looked for him on the way back but he was gone. So I followed Bree's lead and I prayed for a second chance to see this guy.
Bree and I went hiking a few weeks ago, and I told her my story.
We went downtown after (you should have seen us, we were the bedraggled ones!! a 4 hr hike we were in sweats and limping) and from the passenger seat, I see my friend and I yell "BREEEE, its him, its my guy! we gotta stop, we gotta stop" .
We were getting Wok Box anyway which was right around the corner from him, so I got my second chance to give this guy some food, with the very person who planted the second chance seed.
He name is Trevor, and he is beautiful, with gorgeous deep brown eyes, however empty. He was so ashamed to talk to us. We just went up to his bench and asked him if he was hungry, well, Bree did. She has a softer approach than I do, haha. I knelt down to talk to him (Watching so many Super Nanny episodes gave me that tip lol) So we gave him his food, asked him his name and wished him a good night and went on our merry way.
And merry it was, we're such nerds - we were totally giddy after that!

Speaking of second chances, I really feel that Bree is a bit of a second chance for me. I think its safe to say that without her, I'd be back in Nova Scotia .... and I truly need Calgary right now. I need to stay here and figure shiz out and get my act together (which is taking far longer than originally planned :-(

Just Sayin'

Peace Yo
L.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Leanne,
I kind of stalk your family's blogs because they're all so interesting and entertaining... so pardon me for being here! :) I just had to comment on this story - it was beautiful... and a wonderful reminder to see those hurting all around us,.... and to stop and show love.

ps. I also like your blond moments a few posts ago - too funny!! :) :)

Take care,
Janna