Friday, September 17, 2010

Putting Faces to Faces

Don`t worry - I got permission from these kids - so don`t be thinking I`m exploitn` and stuff.
And ìf I sound preachy, thats not where my heart is, but I think its important sometimes to bring awareness to such things as homeless children. I`m not talking about the following kids in particular, though they may look like your typical little mouthy street kid who heckles you when they walk by - they ALL have their horrendous stories. Stories that make you gasp, make you tear up, give you goose bumps and fill you with understanding at their sometimes, lets say, less than desirable behaviour.

Theres one girl that comes to the truck each week and she is pregnant for the third time, other oldest two are in foster care and last week, her mother showed up with her. What the heck ... So she has little to no chance of making it in life given her start. And her `middle`is that to be initiated into this co-ed gang she was part of, she had to be gang-raped by 14 guys. I can`t even begin to begin imagining what that child must feel everyday.

I`d seen this kid (in the wacky jacket) earlier in the day in Kensington just wandering around in the middle of the day.

Do you know that some of them are so abused that its easier to live on the streets and get gang-raped and beat up, and live a life of theft and prostitution because its easier than being at home.
Pez. I don`t know her real name. Or her real eye color. Red contacts. Freakiest thing I`d ever seen.

Volunteer Dan. Source of entertainment, strong arm in controlling the kids, biker, leather jacket wearing bad-ass big hearted guy.

Dinner. Cooked entirely by me. Poor kids.

Eating area of the trailer

Sitting area upstairs (with leopard print cushions - Marias touches are everywhere here)

Lianne and Ryan preparing for the onslaught of kids.

Volunteer Sean. A good Nova Scotia boy. Such a gentle soul.
I just wanted to put a face to a face - so when you see a ratty dressed, dirty kid wandering the streets, just smile and be kind and know their story is far worse than yours.
Peace

No comments: