Monday, March 23, 2009

On the Move Again

Hey.
What a whirlwind weekend!
I arrived here Wednesday night...
Got up Thursday, went right downtown.
Maybeeee not the brightest idea on an empty stomach.
I was star-ving, had too much coffee and couldn't find a parking spot.
So after 30 minutes or so, with my GPS "recalculating reacalulating turn left in 250 meters",
I find see a place. It says Parking - Payment Required.
Well, yeah. But wheres the meters?
In the fine city of Calgary, there is one meter every half block.
(or .... another angle would be theres two on every block)
So you have to put in the zone (which is on post hopefully close by)
Then you have to punch in your licence plate number.
REALLY??? And do you honestly (honestly???) think I know that??
So I have run back to the car, memorize the plate and run back.
I go to put money in and they don't take bills. Only loonies, toonies and quarters.
Soooooooo. I have to go into this huge office building, find the store and stand in line and buy some crap candy at the cash and ask for my change from a 20 in toonies.
Go back outside and do all that work again and THEN try and find a place to eat.
It was all fun though.
Oh yeah. Then some girl starting talking to me and followed me into a little lunch spot.
Chatting away to me and told me "You look like a nice person, (what? was it the wide eyed scared witless walking around in circles staring at the street signs trying to figure out where I was that led to that conclusion??) I'm selling chocolate bars; my friends blahblahblah hearing aid blahblahblah and they're only $5. "
"Sure", I replied "I don't have a job or an income, but heres $5" (by this time, the entire restaurant is staring at us because she's (maybe juuuuust maybe on something) and speaking very loudly, so I feel somewhat cornered to buy this thing.
ANYWAY - I look at it later and theres a price tag on the back that says $4.21.
She'd stolen them and was selling them on the street!
Talk about being duped.
And the sucky part is ..... I don't even like chocolate anymore.
Oh well. She's gonna get crack whether I contribute to the fund or not.
At least next time, I'll try to look like I belong there and that I"m not actually scared the C-train is going to run me over.
This is getting to be a really long story.
I'll wrap it up with:
I had such a super time here. Ray and Dee and gang are simply put, phenomonal people. I am completely enjoying myself and been made to feel like a princess.
I love the city - though the only person I know here is moving back home. And she told me I am going to miss the water and green. Apparently it doesn't get green here because its so dry. So goodbye frizzy Halifax hair! yippppeeeeeeee. No more walking to work being pelted by golf ball size rain drops freezing my butt off in August! I could use a few heat waves, you know!
So I'm back here for good on the weekend, I guess. Sunday or Monday.
And I thiiiiiink, well, 99% sure I found a place to live. A super cool house with three other girls.
I'm only going to stay there for a couple of months until I get grounded here.
ANDDDDD go to this website: www.dirtt.net .
I really really really want to work there. I put my resume in on Friday and they were going to interview me and went to get the guy and he'd just left. Bummerz (as TAMNers would say)
But check it out. Its a very cool spot.
Gotta run. Going back to Ed today, then Fort in the morning.
Have lots to do - ha ! no I don't. I live out of a suitcase. All I have to do is put the rubbermaids in the car!
Later!
Lee.
(I don't have time to proofread! Sorry if theres any mistakes!)

No comments: